The Office of Delegate Mary Washington is seeking a Legislative Session Secretary Intern or Senior Fellow. This position will offer an opportunity to provide administrative, staff and research assistance to the Delegate in her Annapolis office during the 2018 legislative session and to gain educational and practical work experience in the Legislative Branch of State government.
The Intern or Fellow will assist the Legislative Director with the following duties including, but not limited to:
- Providing front desk support in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries, taking and retrieving messages for the Delegate and Legislative staff;
- Processing and entering the Delegate’s General Assembly, Committee, and other appointments into the office calendar.
- Maintaining office data and filing systems;
- Collaborating with other legislative staff, organizing a variety of material and subject matter, developing a working knowledge of general assembly functions, schedule meetings, and correspondence.
- Assist with the management of both written and electronic office communications, particularly constituent correspondence.
- Must have good computer, communication, and customer service skills. Must be organized and diligent, have knowledge of common office software products to manage schedules and paperwork.
- Must have a good grasp of oral and written language and communication, and be able to speak clearly over the phone and in person to communicate with both colleagues and constituents.
- Must be comfortable working with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must travel to work in Annapolis, Maryland four days a week from January 10 through April 9, 2018. Since the legislature does not take any holidays during its 90-day session, all staff are required to commit themselves to a weekly work schedule and to take no holidays or spring break.
Please send letter of interest and resume to Delegate Mary Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org.